Friday Random Ten-and-Quiz

So I have just under half my music collection imported – that’s enough to do a Random Ten, isn’t it? Of course it is.

1. Davy Spillane – Sound of Stone: Artists for Mullaghmore – The May Morning Dew
  2. Fairport Convention – Jewel in the Crown – Kind Fortune
  3. Nightnoise – Something of Time – Something of Time
  4. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon – Breathe
  5. Kimberly M’carver – Breathe the Moonlight – Whistle Down the Wind
  6. Stephane Grappelli – Shades of Django – Lover Man
  7. Stephane Grappelli – Shades of Django – My Heart Stood Still
  8. New Creation – This Is The Day – Echo of Your Peace

Do not accept any similarly-named gospel imitators! This is the one and only New Creation to feature the fabulous vocal stylings of my aunt and uncle!

9. The Be Good Tanyas – Chinatown – Junkie Town
  10. Cordelia’s Dad – Spine – Imaginary Trouble

Quiz after the jump. Yes, there will be rock blogging this week – it’ll be up in the merest eyeblink of geologic time, I promise you.

Your Linguistic Profile:

80% General American English
5% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee

1. Rana wrote:

I don’t know that you can blame California for that. I’ve lived here for over 25 years, and I’m a lot more Yankee than you. (Which is a bit odd, given that _none_ of my relatives are from that part of the country. If anything, I should skew more Midwestern than I do.)
    I see we have some overlap in our music lists!

2. yami wrote:

Just a touch!
    The quiz seems to be defective – it doesn’t capture Midwest regionalisms very well. But people do comment that I gain twang when I’ve been talking to my family, so I assume there’s something going on.

3. Rana wrote:

Hee. I’m an accent chameleon when I’m not careful. I know that I _do_ have some sort of accent, as I sound _exactly_ like my cousin (who also grew up in California and has the same family background (obviously)). But if you put me in proximity with someone who has a defined way of speaking, I end up picking it up.
    The ones that fit best were Australian (well enough to fool some actual Australians) and Southern (my dad’s from the upper South/lower Midwest), but I’ve also “caught” an English accent from a landlady and endured the confusion when I spent two weeks on a camping trip with both California surfer types and Southern folks.
    Dude! Totally cool beans, y’all! *eyeroll*

4. R Mutt wrote:

Your Linguistic Profile:
    40% General American English
    35% Yankee
    20% Dixie
    5% Upper Midwestern
    0% Midwestern
    Given that I’m British, I have no idea what that means…

5. wolfangel wrote:

The quiz is *actively* defective. It’s based on info by Bert Vaux, if you’re curious about actual real dialect differences.

6. Sabine wrote:

65% General American English
    15% Dixie
    15% Yankee
    5% Upper Midwestern
    0% Midwestern
    Very interesting, and a little bizarre…