American Knock-Knock Canon
A throwaway line at Desbladet leads to the following question: Which knock-knock jokes are in the Western Knock-Knock Canon? Des’s inclusion of Irish stew in the name of the law indicates that there might be significant divergence between American and English Knock-Knock Canons, but let’s do forge ahead nonetheless.
I submit that the following jokes are canon:
- Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?
- Nobel, that’s why I knocked
- Leaf me alone!
- Don’t cry it’s only a joke
- Cargo beep beep
- Otto know, who am I? (and variations)
- Interru– MOO! – a modern and somewhat controversial addition that nevertheless deserves recognition for re-imagining literary conventions.