I held a small pie potluck today, in honor of National Pie Day. Everyone who brought a pie, brought a blueberry pie, so it was three blueberries against my lone durian. The durian, of course, lost by a landslide.
Below the fold: I’ve been tagged! This meme is about writing. Also, it only requires you to list three things, which I think is probably the maximum number of things that should be in a meme. Otherwise it’s almost as much work as writing something original.
Here are the rules:
- List 3 writing tips
- Tag 3 people whose writing style you would like to imitate
So here are my words of wisdom:
- Give yourself permission to write a shitty first draft. You share 95%* of your genome with a hundred monkeys on a hundred keyboards, so you will probably need to produce a lot of gibberish before you spit out the first sentence of Hamlet.
- Give yourself permission to publish your shitty first draft on your blog. If you keep typing and posting you can have a banana or a squirt of water.**
- Potty words are funny.
- Bill Bryson
- John McPhee
- Anyone who wants a banana or a squirt of water
* I have no idea what the actual degree of genetic similarity is between humans and monkeys. It’s some sort of metaphor.
** Yes, monkey experimentalists use water as a reward. If they used juice all the time, the monkeys would get fat.