Yarrow Pale Ale

Take 2 on a hop-free gruit. Maybe this time (unlike the last batch) my sanitation will succeed; the mugwort and extra dandelion root should help.

  • 7 lbs liquid light malt extract
  • 8 oz aromatic malt
  • 6 oz carapils
  • 3 oz dried dandelion roots (60 min)
  • 1 oz mugwort (20 min)
  • whirlfloc tablet (20 min)
  • 1/4 oz licorice root (15 min)
  • 1/4 oz mugwort (10 min)
  • 5 oz dried yarrow flowers (5 min)
  • 1 qt starter of Thames Valley ale yeast (Wyeast 1275)

OG: 1.054. Wort tastes sweet but balanced.

In other brewing updates: I forgot to blog about the mugwort rye lager I made over the winter. The mugwort part was 2 oz. added on impulse; also I got lazy and never racked to secondary. The final beer is good but tastes… messy, I guess, where you expect a lager to be clean. And very mugwort dominant. Still, pretty good.

I also made a gallon of lilac hooch last weekend following recipe #1 here, with a big handful of dried blackberry leaves added in hopes of a little tannin. I racked it today. My lilacs are a very pale purple but the wine is currently bubblegum pink. The must tasted like delicious lilac lemonade at the beginning, and now it tastes like some horrible flavor of Four Loco. I didn’t bother with an initial hydrometer measurement.

Update, 6/8: Bottled the YPA yesterday. It was good, but on the sour side, which is worrisome. FG 1.018 (~4.7% ABV).

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*